The list of famous magicians’ names grows every year. Harry Houdini, David Copperfield & Siegfried & Roy all became famous for their innovative use of magic tricks.
Today there are many modern day illusionists who have become famous magicians for their unique blend of escape art, street magic and even comedy. The one thing they all have in common is their stage presence. They have all had television or movie appearances. These magicians have taken celebrity to a new height and have become international sensations.
Historical Famous Magicians’ Names
Some magicians paved the way for today’s illusionists, including:
- Harry Houdini was an immigrant from Hungary and came to America in 1878 settling in Wisconsin. He started performing card and coin tricks at the age of 9 and at one point even had an act as “The Wild Man” in a circus. From there he moved onto escape arts and with these types of tricks became the famous magician he is known for today. It was also during this time that he became famous for performing “The Chinese Water Torture” act in which he was suspended upside down in a straightjacket and lowered into a vat of water.
- Josef P. Freud, who later became Joseffy, was born in Vietnam in 1873 and immigrated to the United States in 1892. After learning the escape arts from working in a Chicago magic shop, he would go onto Coney Island as the Chautauqua and Lyceum headliner.
Las Vegas Magicians
Magic has become a spectacle and sensation across the world now, as new magicians are pushing the limits with new tricks and amazing feats. Many of the world’s most famous magicians regularly perform in Las Vegas where they can attract a worldwide audience. A few of the most well-known magicians:
- David Copperfield. David Copperfield was born David Kotkin and was from New Jersey. He became famous doing street magic and shortly after starting his acting career on Broadway and he took the name David Copperfield. During the 1970’s David Copperfield started his television career with multiple shows about magic.
- David Blaine. David Blaine, an American-born magician, is from New York. Seeing magic for the first time at a young age sparked his interest. He started with street magic performing card and coin tricks and moved onto escape and endurance acts. From there he has starred in many acts ranging from standing on a pull for several days to being suspended in a glass box above the River Thames in London.
Magicians Who Mix It Up
Not all magicians perform a pure magic show. Many combine comedy, animals, or other forms of entertainment to keep the show interesting to a wide audience. Here are two of the most famous acts:
- Penn and Teller. Penn and Teller deliver a unique blend of comedy and magic. Famous for several television appearances and even a syndicated show on Showtime, Penn and Teller perform clever gags.
- Siegfried and Roy. Siegfried and Roy are famous magicians known for their white lions and tigers. Born in Germany the duo performs regularly in Las Vegas and won best show honors in 1972. Since then they have worked their way up to being the 9th highest paid celebrities in the United States.
This is just small sample of the vast number of famous magicians’ names. Across the country new ones are appearing and are ready to start captivating audiences with their magic and mind tricks.